Welcome!

Cross-Platform Technology Journalism By Seasoned Writer

Adrian Bridgwater

Subscribe to Adrian Bridgwater: eMailAlertsEmail Alerts
Get Adrian Bridgwater via: homepageHomepage mobileMobile rssRSS facebookFacebook twitterTwitter linkedinLinkedIn


Top Stories by Adrian Bridgwater

Embedded Analytics: Inside Apps, Inside Processes Now is the age of information analytics. We have (very arguably) reached a point where the insight arising from data analytics can be applied to almost every aspect of a company, in every business vertical. But what shape should that analytics be? Increasingly we talk about embedded analytics, but what do we mean? Should we be embedding analytics inside a) applications themselves, or should we b) look to embed analytics as business rules inside complete corporate processes - or should it be both? Embedded (application) analytics The argument for embedded (application) analytics hinges around the proposition that we can ‘enrich' our software if it has an intelligence engine (or engines plural) providing extra functionality in it somewhere. If that sounds too obtuse, then hold on just one paragraph please. For example, a... (more)

The CEO Is Dead, Long Live the CIO & CEO By @ABridgwater [#Cloud #BigData]

Perhaps not quite as clear-cut as a logical AND in the programmatic sense, but the age of the CEO as we once knew it could be over. There's a simple reason for this, CIOs (and yes of course we do mean Chief Information Officers) are starting to run their operations as business entities in their own right. In no way detracting from the popular assertion that IT has to "progress from simply being a function in the business to now become a business enabling function in and of itself" (as the expression goes)... there's an even deeper truth to realize. This even more profound truism... (more)

Is a ‘Federated’ European Cloud More Democratic? By @ABridgwater | @CloudExpo [#Cloud]

Eurostat, the statistical office of the European Union, has published the results of a survey conducted at the beginning of 2014, on ICT usage in enterprises with a special focus on the use of cloud computing services in the EU Member States. Eurostat's "finding" centered on the "fact" that cloud computing services have been used (in 2014) by only one out of every five (19%) enterprises in the EU28. Insufficient knowledge of cloud Although this is a Euro-study, the results are telling for those from further afield because for the remaining 81% of the EU enterprises not using the ... (more)

Cloud Is All About Workload By @ABridgwater | @CloudExpo [#Cloud]

Forget Location, Location, Location: Cloud Is All About Workload, Workload, Workload What do we know so far about cloud computing? Well, first the hype-cycle slowed down and we started realizing that hybrid cloud (as a combination of public and private resources) was a relatively sensible idea, i.e., from both an expenditure (public) and security (private) perspective. Now we know which data and processing tasks to put where - and when, right? Not exactly, it's still not all quite crystal clear in cloud is it? The nomenclature, taxonomy and classification of the cloud are all part... (more)

The Chief Analytics Officer’s Nightmare By @ABridgwater | @BigDataExpo [#BigData]

The Chief Analytics Officer’s Nightmare Scene scenario: 10 am in a boardroom somewhere, second round of coffees served, Danish and donuts untouched, a quiet hush settles. "Well you know what guys? (and, by the use of the term guys I mean to include both sexes here assembled) - the trouble that we have as a company is that we are, to put it bluntly, just a little analytics-poor," said the newly appointed Chief Analytics Officer. That we should consider a firm to be analytically deficient or poor is a profound comment on our modern age. Does such a term even exist? It is very likel... (more)